Sunday, May 27, 2012

Candied Pancakes

I got creative for my last school breakfast and made up a recipe using some ideas from my new favorite muffins.  I named them candied Pancakes because they get this crispy layer of sugar on them from sprinkling the brown sugar over the last side before it's flipped.  I thought they were pretty darn good, but lately, I'm a sucker for oats, so let me know what you think!

Candied Pancakes

 1 c. quick oats
1 c. buttermilk
½ c. wheat flour
½ c. white flour
5 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
¼ c. veg. oil
3 T. sugar
1 c. milk
2 eggs
Brown sugar for sprinkling

Mix oats and buttermilk in microwavable bowl and cook in microwave for 35 sec.  When done add all other ingredients and mix well.  Oil pan and begin cooking pancakes.  Before you flip to cook other side, sprinkle a small amount of brown sugar over the top.  Flip and cook other side.  Since these pancakes are made with mostly cooked oats, they need to cook a little longer than a normal pancake, so make sure it’s not too gooey before you take it off the heat.  Serve pancake sugar side up so it stays crispy, and eat plain or with a very light amount of syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment