Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Hardest Chicken in the World!!!

We had a lot of fun the other night. We bought a chicken (or so we thought) from some Amish people, and saved it until the perfect moment. I almost saved it for the missionaries, and it was a good thing I didn't because I noticed the skin seemed very tough as I was putting on the seasoning. I didn't think too much of it until I pulled it out, fully cooked. Usually the meat is pulling away from the bones and the body moves, but this chicken was stiff as a board! I couldn't even bend the legs into each other. I began attempting to carve our beautiful chicken, and noticed that I couldn't even cut thought the meat with a very serrated knife. I handed it over to Nels, and this was the final product:

A crazy husband with a butcher knife!!

He had to hit that sucker with all his might lifting the cleaver about 2 feet away from the bird before coming down on it. And even then, it took more than 5 swats to get just the leg off! So, you can imagine how this was to eat :) We sat there chewing, gnawing, trying to bite through this bird, and I think we each ended up swallowing, whole, 1 ounce each. Needless to say, we enjoyed our mashed potatoes and salad that night, and we're pretty darn sure they sold us there leanest rooster ever, instead of the nice juicy hen!!

1 comment:

  1. Nice! You should just raise your own chickens. Yes. I'm kidding. Because you need something else to look after.

    ReplyDelete